Thursday, April 28, 2011

New Paintings And San Gabriel Arts Spring Show



As I had mentioned before, getting ready to move is time consuming and takes time away from painting as much as I would like. However, I have been able to get a little work done. Of my new paintings, one is a portrait of my daughter Zoe and her little dog Sparkles who is just at that age where she is still a child, but emerging into a young lady. I call my work "Coming of age".... It is a reflective work on capturing innocence, yet a little bit of worldly awareness. She sits in front of an antique pewter child's tea set. It is an 18x24 panel in oil.

The Spring Show....ahh! One of my favorite shows. One of my art clubs Big ones! (we also have another one in the Fall. I have 2 entries: "Contemplative Prayer" a dual portrait of Father David and Father Robert from my church, and "Potpourri Party with Jade Animals". I found a frame for the Priests portrait in an antique shop. It's a handmade 80 year old frame and I had to add a gold insert to be able to hold the 24x30 sized canvas. I always have a hard time finding frames I like and many of my paintings are still unframed because of this! My second entry is a Still Life which I don't normally paint (I don't paint landscapes either, except as backgrounds in portraits!) I wanted to paint a still life and I thought, something a little different (traditionally flowers, fruit, books, etc are usual subjects painted!) So I remembered a "study" of this collection of jade animals and a bowl of potpourri, slightly quirky and fun!

It is animal figurines gathered around a bowl of potpourri and a few DRIED flowers (also rarely painted!) (Again, I'm not crazy about the frame... it is temporary!)

"Day of the Dead #2" is almost finished... not in time for the show. I got a bit "busy." I'm working on toning it down. Probably obscuring the satellite figures. I though it was interesting the roses mimicking the head bows. I would have liked to entered this. There is a spring feel to it. My big project "Renaissance Dancer" is geting a little work done on it, but not as much as I would like. San Gabrial Fine Arts Association Spring Show will be this Saturday and Sunday at the Grape Vine Room 11 am to 3pm City of San Gabriel near the Mission.










No comments:

Post a Comment