Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dancer at the Renaissance Fair


Last year I went with my son and his girlfriend to the yearly Renaissance Fair in Irwindale California. It has been going on for many years, but this was the first time I went and it is a haven for lovers of old costumes and customs of the Renaissance culture. Among the many activities is incredible dancing shows as well as plays, sword fights, music and drinking ale! My subject is based on this beautiful troop of ancient gypsy or middle eastern dancers that performed at the Fair. Too bad I cant paint the music I heard! This exotic dancer used a large sheet that she twirled around. Absolutely beautiful moves. This is the preliminary rendering. Next, I will put in the sepia toned wash with burnt sienna, van dyke brown, yellow ochre, and titanium white. I project this painting will take me 3 to 4 months! (it is a larger painting than I normally do like 30x40) A big change in my life will affect the time I have to paint. My Dad passed on after a long illness . It has taken a toll on my emotions, but also now I must sell his (our) home of many years and relocate our family, possibly to Las Cruces New Mexico. So all of this is affecting my being able to paint regularly. Painting actually makes me relax.... I need it to survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment