Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Spirituality in Art

My newest works are about Spirituality. This is my favorite subject. I am a devout Catholic! It is reflected in many of my themes in Art.  I am currently working on two paintings: The Family of St Therese, which was commissioned by Father Philip who is our Pastor and a member of the  Carmelite Order.  This painting will be involved with the Beatification of the Parents and 1 sibling of St Therese. It is an important painting for the Carmelites, who's Patron Saint is St Therese (who, herself was a Carmelite.)

The second painting is a painting of the Passion of Jesus. (Behold the Man). The composition is based on an actual living passion, which took place in Tuscon Arizona. The part of Jesus was played by  Father Robert Barcelos (also a Carmelite), who is one of my favorite models and is in many of my paintings.  He has a powerful, spiritual presence and fiery ministry.. especially on Spiritual Warfare or the ever present struggle between good and Evil. The paintings will go to the Carmelite community.

As a very young girl, I was always intrigued by the beautiful Renaissance artists Raphael, da Vinci and Michelangelo. (It seemed to me the greatest Art produced, was Religious art.) I also loved the theme of Religious art and it was what I really wanted to paint. As a young girl, I painted many religious paintings, but as I got older I went into Portraiture. Now I am gravitating back to my first love of subject! The family of St Therese is about 2/3 finished with a lot of fine tuning and corrections. The painting of Jesus is in preliminary sepia tones before color work. I hope to have both finished by October.




 



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment